Saturday, April 07, 2007

A Career First

Unfortunately, that refers to the first time I forgot to bring my shoes to a race. A sinking feeling, indeed. It was too late to turn around, so I figured I would try to beg, borrow or steal, or play the supportive wife and just cheer for gunnar. Fortunately, a couple of guys had girlfriends racing when we got there, so I bugged them and scored a pair of shoes (and corresponding pedals!). The poor girl finished her race and was so frozen she couldn't get her shoes off, a preview of the joy that was about to ensue. The funny thing was she had a shim in her shoe, so all during the race I was slightly cock-eyed. I was ready (i.e. dressed) literally 1 minute before the start of the race, and promptly got dropped on the third lap. It was SOOOOO COLD (25 degrees) and extremely blustery!!!! Fortunately, for the second half of the race I was able to catch on to the main pack of men as they lapped me and finished the race with them. The good thing was the stress of finding shoes kept my mind off of the cold, and kept my nerves about racing with the men down. Still, it's not an experience I hope to repeat in the future! The next time I see that very sweet girl, I will give her a big handful of Udderly Smooth.

How about you guys? What's the worst thing you've ever forgotten to bring to a race!?


And here's a funny picture of an extreme helmethead and a scary lady, taken down in the Smokey Mts (before I got my gorgeous kit!).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the photo of you and Gunnar. Perfectly sums up a day on the bike in cold weather and borrowed gear.

I have forgotten my shoes AND helmet. THat was in 2000, the first year I did what is now the Nature Valley race. Back then it was only 2 days of racing (rr and crit) and I know that sinking feeling when you are looking for something and realize you know excactly where the said item is....at home! UGH. Way to stick it out and make the best of it, Bunny!

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, not a race but once... we drove 4 hours after work on Friday to camp out in freezing cold weather. The only thing that inspired us to do this was the mtn. biking the next day in a place I consider the Disneyland of Mtn Biking. The next morning, still freezing, we suited up and got the bikes together... about to start our ride and... shit, Cari forgot her shoes! We just got in the car and drove 4 hours home in our chamois.
It will be the last time you do it Bunny!
Cari

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home